Monday, March 23, 2009

As Beyonce Says "All the single ladies/put your hands up"

This post is probably coming out one of the many fever dreams I have had in the past four days. I technically should be passed out, but due to all the tea I have been drinking to feel better through this horrible illness, I am wide awake (I don't believe in decaff tea), and thus this post begins.

It seems like society is always urging people to commit. Commit to this one job for the rest of your life after college, commit to this diet, commit to this way of writing, commit, commit, commit, commit. Especially in relationships, I hardly know anyone who actually casually dates, my friends go from one relationship and in to another one (or as I sometimes see it: from the frying pan to the fire). Whatever happened to casual? Casual dinner, casual sex, casual breakfast the next day...I am going to blame it on romantic comedies or romcoms.

There are all these damn movies that are about successful single women who have awesome friends, good jobs, interesting social lives, but they are SINGLE. Throughout the entire movie said single girl is seen moping about not having a relationship, having sex, moping about sex not being a relationship, yearning for the "perfect" man, thinking how life sucks because they don't have a commitment with another person, etc. I could make a huge list of all the romcoms that come to mind that deal with a successful single woman who only thinks about not being single, but I'm not, it would be boring, all I have to mention is the Sex and the City cult and I make my point.

All these movies hinting that a single girl should think about getting a relationship filter into everyday life, and suddenly society and culture are telling single women that they should feel like their lives suck and that they should probably put on some special hormone filled perfume and go hunting for a "man."

When is there going to be a movie about a single girl who doesn't think about how much it sucks to be single? Hell, include men in this vent too. Movies seem to show single men just as desperate for a relationship as women.

What does society have against people who are single? I don't know the answer, but I hope someone does.

(Here is a pretty cool comic about how being single rocks)

No comments:

Post a Comment